Keep Your Pet Safe During Playtime:

Every veterinarian has countless stories about the foreign objects they have removed from cats and dogs in their care..many of them are funny, but some are tragic. And along with every story is a (sometimes hefty) bill for the pet owner. We believe it's our responsibility to provide high quality veterinary care, which includes educating our clients about preventive medicine and potential hazards.


Some Pets Will Play With Anything!

Here are some common items and the risks they may pose to your pet:

Rocks are tempting "food" for some dogs; but they can break teeth and/or cause intestinal obstruction.


Sticks & bones can break their teeth..and worse! They can splinter and cause vomiting or choking, or they can perforate the mouth, throat or intestines. Choose non-splintering chew toys instead.


Anything sharp could cut skin, feet, eyes, ears, or mouth.


Some mischievous pets like to chew on socks or underwear. If swallowed, the material could cause intestinal obstruction.


Keep plastic bags away from cats. They may enjoy playing with them, but plastic bags aren't just dangerous to children. They can suffocate or choke cats too.


Cats are so much fun to watch when they play with string or yarn, but many people aren't aware of the risks. Swallowing whole pieces can cause obstruction or blockage. Even swallowing a portion of string or yarn can be dangerous. If you see your cat with a piece of string (or something similar) sticking out of its mouth, DO NOT try to pull it out. Call our office immediately. The string could be lodged internally, and pulling on it could cut the intestines and result in death.


Even Store-Bought Pet Toys Can Be Dangerous

Fit the toy to the pet's size. If a toy is too small for the pet's size, he could destroy it and swallow pieces, causing choking or obstruction.


A pet can easily chew a soft latex toy to pieces; squeaking toys have a squeaker which could be swallowed or cause choking.


Certain balls pose dangers: Superballs could easily cause obstruction if swallowed. Tennis balls or handballs may be too small for a large dog and result in choking.


What Are the Warning Signs of Intestinal Obstruction?

Not all foreign objects swallowed by a pet cause obstruction. Sometimes the result is vomiting or diarrhea, and the object passes through. Signs of obstruction may not be evident for days. If you notice that your pet is constipated or does not want to eat, please don't hesitate to call our office for advice.